ACT Fencing News
Were you under 15 on 1 January 2019, would you like to be the ACT U15 Champion or just have fun going in a tournament. Good news, Engarde at MacKillop College Wanniassa will be hosting the ACT under 15 Championships over 3 Monday nights 29 July (Sabre), 5 August (Epee) and 19 August (Foil). All clubs are encouraged to attend. See details in attached flier. Register online (there is a charge to cover referees etc.). Roll call will be at 7:00pm, however get there at 6:30pm at the latest to warm up and gear up.
The ACT Fencing Association is seeking expressions of interest from a suitable person to take on the role of equipment officer. The person fulfilling this role will be reimbursed $1500 per year to cover costs
associated with the role. The role is expected over a year to average out at around 1 hr per week. The tasks that would be expected of the equipment officer are listed below.
Just say in one paragraph why you would be suitable for the role.
Emails must be received by 9:00am on Monday 27 May 2019.
If you have any questions please call Neil Kinsella (ACTFA Treasurer on 0466450980).
The decision on who is selected for the role will be made by the ACTFA Committee.
Role: Equipment Officer
Manage ACTFA inventory of fencing equipment.
- Maintain an inventory and track the location of equipment.
- Undertake annual stocktake.
- Be a central point of contact on equipment issues.
- Co-ordinate the loan of equipment to clubs.
- Arrange for equipment repairs and maintenance – cost of repairs will be met by ACTFA.
- Co-ordinate the loan of ACTFA equipment to The Australian Fencing Federation camps held at the AIS.
The role would require access to a vehicle and my be suitable for someone who is not in full time employment.
The equipment officer does not need to be an ACTFA fencer and is open to anyone who has the required skills and time. As an example a relative or friend may be interested in putting in an expression of interest.
Garry was awarded Life Membership in 2019.
Garry has been integral to all aspects of fencing, from grass roots to AFF representation and across a number of clubs. He has taken on significant roles, including ACTFA President and Secretary and is currently an AFF Director. He is a level 0 coach and also referees at state and club events. He is involved with community outreach helping at the CAP Expo and the opening of the Archery Centre.
The AGM of ACTFA Inc was held on 9 February 2019. Attached are the minutes of the meeting and key documents tabled and endorsed at the meeting.
Thankyou to everyone who made this weekend such a success.
From those who did set up and pack up it's never a pleasant task but such an important one ( I wont name you all because I might miss someone but you know who you are).
To our Canteen people Michael and Susan, DT Carl, Head referee Cerri and visiting referee/mentor Mitchell, referee Tom who we pulled out of bed to come and help and all those who took time out to referee even though they are fencing.
Tray bearers Shiloh, Ashley, Shania and Tim.
Helen for the food on Sunday which helped keep everyone fueled.
Big thanks to Neil and Grant who kept things ticking along with the million decisions that needs to be made.
Thanks also goes to the tournament sponsor Jeff Gray.
For the 2019 ACT State Championships the following changes have been made to events:
- Open Womens Epee
- Open Mens Epee
- Open Mens Sabre
- Open Mens Foil
- JG U17 Womens Foil and JG U17 Mens Foil will be combined into a mixed competition with registration closing at 11:15am Saturday.
- Open Womens Sabre will be combined into the Open Mens Sabre for a mixed competition with registration closing at 2:00pm Saturday.
- Open Womens Foil has low numbers and may be combined with Open Mens Foil. Registration times are unchanged.
- JG U17 Mens Epee has low numbers but at this time will still be run. Registration time unchanged.
- JG U17 Mens Sabre has very low numbers but at this time will still be run. Registration time unchanged.
- JG U17 Womens Epee has been cancelled due to no registrations. Late registrations will be combined into the Mens event.
- JG U17 Womens Sabre has been cancelled due to no registrations. Late registrations will be combined into the Mens event.
The 2019 ACTFA State Open and U17 Epee, Foil and Sabre Championships will be held on Saturday and Sunday March 9 and 10 at the Tuggeranong Archery Centre. Please read the attached info flier for dates and times, dress requirements, venue location and how to register. Please also note the early bird payment option. ACTFA fencers are eligible for one free Championship entry per year.
The ACTFA AGM will be held on 9th February 2019 at the Tuggeranong Arts Centre
137 Reed Street Greenway at 1pm.
Attached is the meeting agenda and reports for the meeting.
The AGM will be followed by the presentation of awards for 2018.
Flyers for both events are attached..